Thursday 30 June 2011

Inspiration Board 2 - Rag Rugs

Continuing from yesterday, another technique to make rag rugs and my favourite is called the Shaggy Rag Rug.  This style of rug is not flat, instead the fabric is knotted through a mesh and the ends left loose so it stands up like a shag pile carpet.  This is the technique I remember doing at school so I really wanted to try it out again myself.

These rugs can be made in variety of different ways, using an open mesh it is possible to just thread the fabric through and tie it off.  Or Hessian can be used to create a much tighter weave but to thread the fabric through you may need to use a hooked needle.  Here are some designs and tutorials I am using for inspiration, to find more look on my Rag Rug Pinboard:


1 - I love how you can incorporate a design like this multicoloured Union Flag Rag Rug from Folksy.
2 - This tutorial for a Patchwork Shaggy Rag Rug is brilliant.
3 - Rag Heart decoration from Folksy. 
4 - A Shaggy Rag Rug Tutorial from Etsy.
5 - Yet again another favourite from Urban Outfitters this Yellow Shaggy Rag Rug.
6 - This Bath Shaggy Rag Rug is made from towels.
7 - This Little Field Of Flowers Rug isn't strictly a Rag Rug but it uses the same technique, I just love it.
8 - Polka Dot Shag Rag Pillow from Folksy.

I recently received a large batch of fabric offcuts from a friends of my Mum's, even though they are not exactly the designs and colour I am looking for I can't say no to free fabric and it's a brilliant way to get started so I can experiment and see how much fabric I am likely to need if I were to make more.

~Sarah~

No comments:

Post a Comment